MASTERCHEF GOES LARGE.....

I admit it….I am a Masterchef addict!  Where many South African housewives can’t wait to indulge in their mid-afternoon fix of Days of our lives and The Bold and the Beautiful, I sit and count down the minutes until 17:30, so that I can watch my beloved Masterchef.

I have had countless days where my disgruntled husband cries in agony:  “When is this show going to end?! It’s worse than a broken record!” Even though he is forced to watch the highlight packages of the cricket and rugby some days, he is well rewarded with scrumptious and inventive dishes from my kitchen.  My favourite part of Masterchef is the “mystery box challenge”.  Sometimes my refrigerator is a mystery box to me, and this little playful exercise helps one to come up with new and inventive ways to cook with everyday/limited ingredients.

The successful Masterchef franchise has started back in 1990, and has enjoyed unfailing support world wide.  It has now been developed for millions of viewers in many countries, and in recent years, local versions of the show has been developed for Portugal, Malaysia, Denmark, Finland, Australia, and now, South Africa!

I think it is a wonderful venture that would allow many keen South African cooks to live out their passions and fulfil their culinary dreams. The show will be showcased on M-net, and auditions will be held in Johannesburg on December the 3rd; Cape Town on December the 10th; and in Durban on December the 17th. 

So if you have not yet entered, you still have time!  I can’t wait to see all the talented cooks South Africa has to offer, and maybe even some of my readers will be amongst these coveted few. 

Until next time my readers, happy cooking!


The opinionated John Torrode
The pudding loving Greg Wallace


The recent Masterchef Australia winner, Adam Liaw


The First Masterchef Australia winner, Julie Goodwin, with talented runner-up, Poh
The Australian Masterchef judges:
Gary, Matt and George



Comments

Popular Posts