A Culinary Journey through France....

It sounds like the beginning of a fairytale.  Never in my wildest dreams had I imagined to be simultaneously so inspired and impressed by the French cuisine.

When we think of a cuisine that holds an esteemed position in the culinary world, the French definitely comes to mind. I took it upon myself to investigate this premise, and what a delight it was to validate it.

To kick-off my journey, I found myself in the beautiful French village of Chavignol, famous for its tasty Sauvignon-Blanc’s and Pinot Noir’s.  Surrounded by beautiful vineyards and quaint little houses, most of the summer evenings were spent outdoors, eating fresh, local produce such as melons, beef tomatoes, Crotin goats cheese, and of course, the popular French baguette.  No meal is fulfilled without this important ingredient!

What I love about the French cuisine, is that apart from the bountiful fresh produce, every meal is spent with family and loved ones around the table; sharing stories, wine and laughter.  One cannot deny that for the French, food is not only a means of survival…. it’s a way of living.

As you walk along the narrow cobbled streets, charming little shop-fronts showcase their produce.  These range from fresh fruits and vegetables, chocolates and pastries, and of course their freshly baked breads.

The French markets were my absolute favourite, and a definite must to experience if you consider yourself a food-lover.  The smaller villages offered a festive and unique atmosphere, which sometimes lacked in some of the bigger cities.  The producers’ passion for their products is so contagious, you cannot help to stop and admire them. 

The impressive variety of fresh produce is simply mind boggling, and can fire up inspirational ideas for the dinner table.  In the mornings, you already think what you will prepare for lunch; during lunchtime you start discussing what to make for dinner; and alas, at dinner you start conjuring up ideas for breakfast. 


My culinary journey through France exceeded all my expectations, and I cannot wait to return.  I have met some wonderful people and wonderful cooks on my journey.  On my next entry, you can look forward to some delicious and original recipes I had the pleasure of tasting. Just to give you a bit of a teaser of my adventures, here are a couple of pictures I hope will capture the spirit of their cuisine. Until next time my dear readers, happy cooking!

Charming shop in Sancerre
Freshly picked field mushrooms that was prepared in a mouth-watering pasta



Fresh cucumbers


Freshly baked pastries
Their range of meat is a scarlet dream

Lady sellling fresh bread at market

The French baguette was the order of the day



Cheese and potato fondue-type dip...yum!

A variety of cured meats


Butcher's produce at another festive market

Some of the yummy goodies to tempt passers-by

Beautiful fresh Mackrel






The widest variety of olives I've ever seen

Paris, the city of love....even their cheeses are heart shaped


Beatiful vegetables


Peppers in all their glory

Poulet, or chicken as we know it.  They even have their heads still attached to prove how fresh they are!

Rabbit, also with their heads still attached!

Delicious scallops and prawns


One of my favourite treats...Macaroons!

The French showcase their talent with chocolate


Variety of goat's cheese, including Crotin

The Big and beefy Beef Tomato

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts