Good Food and Wine Show, 2012

Aah, The Good Food and Wine Show; the one time in the year where I unashamedly morph into a chef-groupie and food paparazzi extraordinaire. With my camera in hand, and an appetite as big as my excitement, I made my way to the inviting lights of the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC). I could almost taste the excitement in the air.

As I entered the all-too-familiar arena of gastronomy, I craned my neck to see if I could catch a glimpse of Buddy Valastro, the Cake-boss. Maybe not my favourite food-personality, but heck, that man can make impressive cakes! I was as giddy as a kid on the last day of school; just to be plummeted back to earth with major disappointment and a headache as souvenir.

I have decided to re-name The Good Food and Wine Show to The Wine Show. The once-utopia for food lovers has diminished under an alcohol haze of wine and tequila stalls. With every second step you are bombarded with shots of Vodka and bubblegum-flavoured Tequila?! Even a driving-miss-Daisy look-alike shooed me out of the way to get another fill of her poison.

I have to admit that at some point I thought they might have slipped me some Absinthe, for I started seeing hallucinations of cell phone-stores and footgear. Surely, these items do not belong at a food and wine convention?! I was wrong…

Luckily, there were a few items of interest that salvaged (kind of) the evening for me. Inventive and creative cooking utensils and accessories, as well as beautiful and skilfully crafted knives boosted my faith in the event.

I was also happy to see the advent of local food heroes to the ranks: producers of cured meats; frozen yoghurts and confectionary, who were all eager for you to try their fare.

After three hours of wine-tasting, browsing, oh, and did I mention wine-tasting?, we left the bright lights of the Convention Centre with deflated moods and tummies. It seemed that I was destined for toasted ham and cheese sarnies for dinner, and an Aspirin or two…





Beautiful glass vessels for your vino.

Delicious treats from Cassis Pris.



Yummy delights

The ones on top looks seriously delicious!


Handmade Nougat


Some of the yummy flavours from the Creamery

One of Creamery's Ninjas




Eezilock Sealing Sliding Lock: Super cool and great gift idea


Love the little drawers filled with spices

Ceramic crinkly cups :)

A Kenwood Mixer that can heat up to 140'C. Perfect for making soups and risottos.
Please Christmas, come early this year!

Always my favourite: products from Le Crueset

Beautiful Otiental tea-set


Love this range from Ballarini


Wine carafe

I like these rubbery men :)


Comments

Popular Posts